Sunday, February 6, 2011

汤圆; Tāngyuán

"Tangyuan"

After reunion dinner on every Chinese New Year eve, my grandmother, my cousins, my aunt and I -sometimes, my brother also- will gather together to make Tangyuan.

What is Tangyuan? -according to Wikipedia-
Tangyuan is a Chinese food made from glutinous rice flour. Glutinous rice flour is mixed with a small amount of water to form balls and is then cooked and served in boiling water. Tangyuan can be either small or large, and filled or unfilled.

Tangyuan is usually eaten together with family. The round shape of the balls and the bowls where they are served, come to symbolize the family togetherness! I guess this is the main reason why my grandmother always want us to make Tangyuan every year; nothing but to see the TOGETHERNESS of the family members.

Praise the Lord for all my family members! Cheerio =))

1 comment:

  1. Traditions are so important to family's. They weave us together with threads of love and joy!

    ReplyDelete